The original Adafruit Motorshield kit is one of our most beloved kits, which is why we decided to make something even better. We have upgraded the shield kit to make the bestest, easiest way to drive DC and Stepper motors. This shield will make quick work of your next robotics project! We kept the ability to drive up to 4 DC motors or 2 stepper motors, but added many improvements:
Instead of a L293D darlington driver, we now have the TB6612 MOSFET drivers with 1.2A per channel current capability (you can draw up to 3A peak for approx 20ms at a time). It also has much lower voltage drops across the motor so you get more torque out of your batteries, and there are built-in flyback diodes as well.
Instead of using a latch and the Arduino's PWM pins, we have a fully-dedicated PWM driver chip onboard. This chip handles all the motor and speed controls over I2C. Only two data pins (SDA & SCL in addition to the power pins GND & 5V) are required to drive the multiple motors, and since it's I2C you can also connect any other I2C devices or shields to the same pins. This also makes it drop-in compatible with any Arduino, such as the Uno, Due, Leonardo and Mega R3.
Completely stackable design: 5 address-select pins means up to 32 stackable shields: that's 64 steppers or 128 DC motors! What on earth could you do with that many steppers? I have no idea but if you come up with something send us a photo because that would be a pretty glorious project.
Lots of other little improvements such as a polarity protection FET on the power pins and a bit of prototyping area. And the shield is assembled and tested here at Adafruit so all you have to do is solder on straight or stacking headers and the terminal blocks.
Lets check out these specs again:
- 2 connections for 5V 'hobby' servos connected to the Arduino's high-resolution dedicated timer - no jitter!
- 4 H-Bridges: TB6612 chipset provides 1.2A per bridge (3A for brief 20ms peaks) with thermal shutdown protection, internal kickback protection diodes. Can run motors on 4.5VDC to 13.5VDC.
- Up to 4 bi-directional DC motors with individual 8-bit speed selection (so, about 0.5% resolution)
- Up to 2 stepper motors (unipolar or bipolar) with single coil, double coil, interleaved or micro-stepping.
- Motors automatically disabled on power-up
- Big terminal block connectors to easily hook up wires (18-26AWG) and power
- Arduino reset button brought up top
- Polarity protected 2-pin terminal block and jumper to connect external power, for separate logic/motor supplies
- Tested compatible with Arduino UNO, Leonardo, ADK/Mega R3, Due, Diecimila & Duemilanove. Works with Mega/ADK R2 and earlier with 2 wire jumpers.
- Download the easy-to-use Arduino software library, check out the examples and you're ready to go!
- Dimensions, assembled: 70mm x 55mm x 10mm 2.7"x2.1"x0.4"
- This board/chip uses I2C 7-bit addresses between 0x60-0x80, selectable with jumpers.
Comes with an assembled & tested shield, terminal block, plain header, jumper. Some soldering is required to assemble the headers on. Stacking headers not included, but we sell them in the shop so if you want to stack shields, please pick them up at the same time. Arduino and motors are not included but we have lots of motors in the shop and all our hobby servos, DC motors, and stepper motors work great.
Note: The terminal block included with your product may be blue or black.
Claim orders from Stores
You can claim your purchased items within 1 - 4 work days after making an order (if product is in local warehouse).
Please wait for an email notification regarding Your order status update.
Vilnius Store address: Vytenio g. 20, LT-03229 Vilnius, Lietuva
Kaunas Store address: Pramonės pr. 4D, LT-51329, Kaunas, Lietuva
Purchased items are delivered locally through Venipak service. Depending on availability of items, orders are processed within 1-3 work days. Orders made until 1AM are shipped the same day.
Local delivery (1-2 w.d.) price for items of any size is through through courier service is 4.50€ (incl. VAT).
Local delivery price to Venipak parcel terminals (1-3w.d.) is 2.50€ incl. VAT.
Local delivery price to Omniva parcel terminals (1-3w.d.) is 3.50€ incl. VAT.
Payment on delivery +2.00€ (incl. VAT).
You can pay for the goods at the time of delivery to the courier in cash or by credit card. Payment to Omniva parcel terminals is only possible by bank card.
International delivery pricing through courier service
International shipping prices depend on geographic location:
Latvia - 5.50€ (incl. VAT)
Estonia - 6.50€ (incl. VAT)
other - negiotiated individually.
International delivery pricing to Omniva parcel terminals
Latvia - 6.00€ (incl. VAT)
Estonia - 8.50€ (incl. VAT)
We accept payments via PayPal for orders over 20€.
Paid orders of more than 100€ are shipped for free to Baltic countries.
Product availability status meaning:
Vilnius Store In Stock - the product is at the store, Vytenio str. 20 in Vilnius and can be picked up / purchased the same day;
Kaunas Store In Stock - the product is at the store, Pramonės pr. 4D in Kaunas and can be picked up / purchased the same day;
Central Warehouse In Stock - In stock, product will be shipped in a short time 1-2 work days, there is no possibility to pickup on the spot;
1-2 work days - product will be shipped in a short time - 1-2 business days;
1-2 work days – we don’t have selected product in stock. Shipping time is only 1-2 work days;
3-5 work days – we don’t have selected product in stock. Shipping time is between 3-5 work days;
3-7 work days – we don’t have selected product in stock. Shipping time is between 3-7 work days;
Out of Stock – selected product is sold out at the moment, but you can apply for automatic alert by email when product will be in stock.